Going to the gym is all about exercising, endurance and getting in shape. That doesn’t mean that you can’t ever relax and have a good time at the gym. In fact, there is some evidence to indicate that certain types of relaxation activities, such as sitting in saunas, can have health benefits when done after exercising. More and more Gilbert gyms are beginning to have saunas in them and for good reason.
The heat that is produced in a sauna is believed to relax the muscles and increase blood flow, which is ideal after a tough workout. In fact, according to Harvard Medical School, each minute you’re in the sauna, the heart doubles the amount of blood pumped, and the temperature of your skin increases to approximately 104 degree Fahrenheit. The sauna is supposed to be an ideal way to rid your muscles and body of excess toxins.
Benefits of Saunas
Some of the most notable benefits that saunas are believed to have include the following:
- Alleviate muscle soreness
- Alleviate arthritis, asthma and chronic fatigue
- May reduce frequency of colds
Of course, just as with everything else, there are a few safety tips you should keep in mind when using a sauna.
1. First of all, always make sure that you speak with your doctor about any medical conditions that you have that might be adversely affected by using a sauna. For instance, people with high blood pressure are generally advised against going to saunas in Gilbert gyms.
2. Always make sure to rehydrate with two to four glasses of cool water after you get out of the sauna. Since the sauna causes you to sweat so much, it’s essential that you rehydrate your body afterwards to keep your electrolytes in balance.
3. If you opted for a low-impact workout, then sitting in a sauna can help you lose excess water weight. The recommended time to sit in a sauna is generally between 20 and 30 minutes. Don’t sit in one for too long, especially without proper hydration to avoid overheating and dehydration.
Of course, when you’re considering going to a gym that has a sauna in it, you might want to consider doing your research beforehand. For instance, investigate the gym’s sauna to determine if it’s sanitary and if users follow proper hygiene procedures. You might also want to take note whether use of the sauna is included in the membership price or if you have to pay extra for that feature since some gyms include the usage of all features in their membership while others require additional fees for additional features. Also, if the sauna is something you anticipate wanting to use a lot, you might want to check to see how full it usually is. There’s no use in paying for a membership for a service that you’ll rarely, if ever, get to use because there’s always long lines for it. If the sauna seems to be fuller at certain times of day than others, consider altering your workout schedule to accommodate a time when the sauna isn’t as occupied.
EOS Fitness is one of the Gilbert gyms that offers its members a sauna as well as plenty of other amenities. Check out EOS Fitness’s Gilbert Gym page to learn more about this particular branch and what it offers by visiting our amenities page.